I was driving home from work this week and craving a sweet frozen treat. I knew I wanted something light and quick when the idea to make a five-minute nice cream hit me.
With a half opened carton of almond milk in the fridge and a bag of mango chunks in the freezer, I had all of the ingredients I needed.
I tossed both ingredients into the blender, selected the Frozen Desserts setting, and a few minutes later, my ice cream was ready.
Nice creams are ice-cream-like desserts that can be made using a blender or food processor (no ice cream maker needed). Often, they are healthier than regular ice creams, which is why they’re so nice.
The most basic form is a classic, creamy one-ingredient banana ice cream. You can see how I used it in these Peanut Butter + Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches. This mango ice cream is an alternative, no-banana nice cream recipe, and just one of endless variations of easy ice cream recipes.
I highly recommend experimenting with different ingredients, whether they be mix-ins like Nutella with a banana base or chopped nuts in a mango base. For instance, in the past, I’ve tried a mango coconut milk combination, which was creamy and delightful, as well as a delicious cardamon-cinnamon banana.
To add a bit of texture to this mango base, I used my other Vitamix container, the dry grains container, to chop up some almonds to top off the ice cream.
I used this same technique to chop pecans when making these Sesame and Pecan Schnecken Swirls with Orange Glaze. If blended for longer, the chopped nuts would soon turn into flour, much like how I make Homemade Oat Flour.
This mango nice cream was so delicious I couldn’t help taking a few bites before finishing up the photographs. It was the perfect combination of easy, healthy, and refreshing.
I hope you get a chance to try out this super simple, five-minute frozen dessert. Let me know what you think below and if you experimented with some variations of your own.
Items used in this post:
- Chest freezer
- Vitamix Blender
- Vitamix dry grains container
- Glass containers – I love my Pyrex rectangular glass containers
- Ice cream scoop – I use this OXO Good Grips Trigger Ice Cream Scoop
- Kitchen towel – this one is from Target
- Measuring cups – I love my OXO measuring cup sets
- Silicone spatula – this GIR Ultimate spatula is one of my favorite kitchen tools. I have four different sizes in a bright orange featured by my stovetop. I usually have a special one allocated for using near the sharp blades of the blender.
- Cutting board – out of stock IKEA wooden cutting board. This one is similar.
- Glass bowls
- 1 bag frozen mango chunks
- 1 cup almond milk (unsweetened vanilla)
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds (optional)
Add mango chunks and almond milk into high-speed blender.
Blend on high until smooth.
(Optional) Top with chopped almonds.